I never had a chia pet growing up so I never put much thought into the little seeds and I would have never guessed that years later I would come to love these little seeds so much! The list of benefits goes on and on but here are the top reasons to add this to your grocery list.
1) Nutrition -These tiny little guys pack a serious nutritional punch with:
- 3x more antioxidants than blueberries
- 8x more omega-3’s than a serving of salmon
- 5x more calcium than milk
- 7x more vitamin C than an orange
- 3x more iron than spinach
- 2x more potassium than bananas
- More protein than wheat, oats or barely
- High Fiber
2) Energy Boost – You can put down that energy drink or 3rd cup of coffee and swap it out for a serving of these seeds – best part is, no crash later, no added sugar or caffeine, all natural and all of that protein and fiber will keep you full!
3) Versatility – Believe it or not, you can use chia seeds and water to replace eggs and to thicken soups, baking, smoothies, etc. I’ve even made the best french toast I’ve ever had using chia seeds and no eggs! You can sprinkle a few spoonfuls onto of your salad.
4) Easy, fast & delicious – Chia seed gel is my go to on-the-go breakfast when I’m running behind schedule or need to grab a quick snack. It is literally the quickest thing I can think to put together by just putting 3 tablespoons of chia seeds in a glass or bottle with about 8 oz. of water (and sometimes some fresh lemon/lime juice – yum!) and stirring. They do tend to stick together when in liquid so make sure to give them a few stirs to assure they don’t form one big, gross clump (I learned this lesson the hard way).
Egg-less French Toast:
- 1 cup milk or milk alternative
- 3 tablespoons of chia seeds
- A teaspoon or so (to taste) of honey (or sweetener of choice)
- Splash of vanilla extract
- Coconut oil for cooking
Put the first 4 ingredients in a blender for just a few seconds (you could skip this step of you wanted). Coat your bread in this delicious mixture and fry it up on both sides with some coconut oil until golden brown or desired consistency.
Warning: Chia seeds are great for digestion and cholesterol due to the high fiber content BUT I would advise you to properly soak them in liquid for at least 20 mins minimum (I prefer 1 hour – overnight) to absorb as much water as they can. They can absorb up to 10x their weight in water which is gives them a jelly like texture. For that reason, you MUST allow them to absorb enough water or they will absorb the water out of your colon and cause constipation.